Sunday, December 11, 2011

The Skin I Live In (***1/2 out of ****)

This film devoured me. I was mesmerized by the events presented to me. So lost was I that the near two hour run time was over before I knew it. I haven't felt such a thrill since Perfume: Story of a Murder. Before I get ahead of myself let me dial the praise back a touch. I want to do this review right.

I won't say much of the plot. Only that it will draw you in like you've never felt before. What I do think should be shared is the basics of Dr. Robert Ledgard (Antonio Banderas in his best performance). Ledgard lives in quite the manor. A nice touch of classic woodwork and paintings but also modern furniture. In this house is a woman. She is dressed in a skin looking suit and is locked in a room at all times of the day. All we know she looks delicate and her name is Vera (Elena Anaya). Ledgard spends most of his time working in his stylish lab. He's working on a skin that will be immune to heat, disease or a host of other harms. Of course he needs a test subject. See where this is going? Trust me when I say the story will shock you with the twists and turns the film will take.

Pedro Almodovar is a director unlike no other. I've said it before and I'll say it again his films are all terrific. What he has done here is that he's made a horror film with no screams. There will be terror and suspense but we won't be waiting for the jump to give us a break. No The Skin I Live In knows how to build intrigue mixed with horror. Almodovar films all have beautiful soundtracks and a emphasis on colors. He has a lust for the color red and his films support this. The artistic design of the film is ravishing that the story won't be the only thing to keep your eyes glues to the screen. Dark sexuality breathes through this film to leave you drained yet wanting more. The Skin I live In is something to adore for reasons of human nature. It appeals to all our senses. It is one of the year's best.

***1/2 out ****

No comments:

Post a Comment