Sunday, December 18, 2011

Sherlock Holmes: A Game of Shadows (*** out of ****)

Know that I'm being very kind here in giving this three stars. I decided the good outweighed the bad after sleeping one it. The reason I wanted to rate this film lower was one of the biggest flaws I've seen in some time. However this flaw may be more personal than the film's fault. When Holmes and Watson were speaking often I found myself bored. So I let my mind drift only then to realize I was missing story points. So then I'd pay attention again until about a minute later I found my self bored again. This happened repeatedly though out the film and luckily the scenes changed quickly. I can imagine watching the same dialogue but with no action being a miserable time. Yet this is where the film achieved it's greatness. Both in action and visuals.

Sherlock Holes: A Game of Shadows boosts one of the more entertaining at action sequences of the year. The heroes run through a forest as soldiers chase after them. Trees are torn asunder with mortar rounds, the ground crumbles and there is a sense of fear that this will be the place of Holmes' and Watson's grave. There is some clean cut and exciting editing in this that keeps the film flowing kinetically even if the dialogue slows it down. Also some strong art direction and costumes make this dazzling to look at.

I've seen to have talked about the major features of my film without even touching the plot. I think I'll leave it this way. I just want to say that the two heroes played finely by Robert Downey JR. and Jude Law are joined by Noomi Rapace in hunting down "the Napoleon of stealing" (a affective Jared Harris). I don't think this was a great film. However I will say it passed my expectations in some cases. Once again the good outweighed the bad here.

*** out of ****

No comments:

Post a Comment