Sunday, December 18, 2011

The Sitter (* out of ****)

When the only time you actually laugh during a comedy is to something completely unintentional then that is a bad sign. I had perhaps three chuckles and that one case of random laughter for what was a grueling 81 minutes. I can say full heartily that not only is this a unfunny film, it is one of the worst of the year.

Jonah Hill babysits for three kids one night but then brings them to NYC as he tries to get laid. I think leaving the kids at home with the doors locked and some food would have been the best choice. Hill could've been back in like two hours but then we don't have a movie. I'm not to sure if getting rid of this movie in general is such a terrible thing though.

With a recent trend of pushing comedies to their limit with cases such as Horrible Bosses, Cedar Rapids, and Bridesmaids you'd figure a movie described as the "filthiest R rated babysitting movie ever made" would do something good. Nope. Awful plot devices and a lack of jokes make this one. I say the three children are blameless though. They were given bad characters that had cliche characterization. I don't know where to place the blame or even if finding the source is worth my time. 

I can say though that David Gordon Green is coming close a point of no return in the case of my interest. All The Real Girls was one of the most powerful films I've ever seen. Snow Angels (which also stars Sam Rockwell who in The Sitter plays ass of a drug dealer) was quite the great film as well.  I will even say Pineapple Express, his first comedy was a monstrous success and one of the best of last decade. Your Highness was atrocious and the most disappointing film I saw this year. Yet somehow The Sitter is even worse. I said quite confidently after seeing it that I would consider getting cancer over watching the film again. After sleeping on it I feel the same way.

* out of ****

No comments:

Post a Comment