Sunday, December 4, 2011

The Green Lantern (*1/2 out ****)

The Green Lantern is the worst superhero movie that I took seriously. Did I expect Fantastic Four: Rise of the Silver Surfer to be good? Of course not. However part of me held up hope for The Green Lantern. I told myself to loom past the awful reviews when starting it, of course the critics were right. This film is dead upon arrival.

Hal Jordan (Ryan Reynolds playing himself) is a fighter pilot when he receives the ring. The Green Lantern Corps defends the universe using rings powered by the universe's will power. I don't mind the silly idea because I'm a comic book fan. I like the Green Lantern story but defiantly prefer others. The Corps greatest fighter is killed by a mighty power called Parallax, the ring then chooses Hal. He trains with the Lanterns to dispel fear. Also Hal flirts with Carol (a pretty but boring Blake Lively), a fellow pilot and his superior. There action isn't special, the characterization is dumb and the overall plot in general is in the gutter. The film doesn't even have any guilty pleasure fun, it's all boring. The only saving grace is Peter Sarsgaard as the villain Hector Hammond. He's a brilliant scientist that can't compete with Hal for Carol's affection (Hector isn't the best looking guy). Sarsgaard pulls off a near impossible character with ease and has some fun doing it. I see Green lantern not as a movie that was made to tell a story but one to make money. The producers knew that superhero movies are hot right now so why not make one that hasn't been touched yet. Too bad no emotion or soul was put into this adaption.

*1/2 our of ****

No comments:

Post a Comment