Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Harry Potter and The Deathly Hallows Part 2 (8.5/10)

So here we are at the end of an era. Harry Potter's story is over and done with (most likely). It's kind of a sad thing. I know to most people it's much more than that. Harry Potter whether you like it or not is something you identify our generation with. All through my childhood Harry Potter has been a topic that could be brought up and it seemed like everybody had a opinion or story to share. I read the first books after I saw the respective movies but then just decided to wait for the movies. I've never seen a bad Harry Potter movie (although the "Part 1" is the worst of the bunch)  because well, it is an interesting story. I'm a sucker for well developed fantasy tales and I always will be. "Deathly Hallows 2" (as I shall now refer to it as in the review) is one of the best of the bunch. It's a very satisfying conclusion to an epic story. "Prisoner of Azkaban" was my favorite and I still think the best but "Deathly Hallows 2" comes out to still be in the top three still. A worthy prize indeed.

To explain the story would be foolish. It's all been building up to this point that I wouldn't know where to start. I'll just simplify it by saying Harry Potter will fight the final battle with his arch enemy Voldermort in this one. The big battle that balances well with the story elements was well worth the wait. Marvelous scenery and great suspense makes this one for the history books. So that was one of the best things about the film. There are other things to talk about but there all minor elements that add up to a larger picture. Score, cinematography, editing and art direction all shine here. Since David Yates has come on board he's done some fantastic things to make the series look bleaker and more desperate, a big plus it is. "Deathly Hallows 2" was made as masterfully as it could have been.

This is a great movie, not perfect. The reason why is the lack of other character development. I'm not talking about Snape or Ron main characters like that. I felt that the supporting characters like the core members of the Order of The Phoenix were background scenery. They were there to make the movie prettier but had nothing much to do. Characters like Hagrid, Remus and his wife, the majority of the Weasleys, Horace Slughorn, Sybil Trelawney and of course Fleur Delacour (mostly because my dream girl Clemence Poesy plays her) are just... well there. I'd have like to see some conclusion to their stories or because of them being scenery, I'd like to have felt something more for some characters deaths ( I won't say who but some good guys will die, you knew it was coming). It may be Harry Potter's story but it's the fantasy universe that so many people fell in love with. Maybe it was just me but that's how I felt. However it's not something to hate this movie for. "Deathly Hallows 2" is one of the highlights of the year.

8.5/10
Recommendation: Finish the series if you've seen the others. I'd recommend the entire series even, I always thought they were fun and something to get interested in. The movies are all well crafted. Although if you haven't seen the last one or few, get caught up cause you can't just jump into this one (but that's obvious). I saw it in 3D, I didn't see anything really special, I'd recommend go old fashioned 2D.

No comments:

Post a Comment