Saturday, August 6, 2011

Friends With Benefits (7.5/10)

So this rating seems fairly appropriate. If you really love the movie, this is a damn good rating for me because it's not normally something I like. If you think this rating is too high for a movie we've seen a million times before, I'm saying it's no masterpiece by any measure. I tried to watch this movie with an nonobjective mind because otherwise I'd probably hate it. "No Stings Attached" and "Love and Other Drugs" had a similar plot and I didn't like either. So I decided to look past the fact I've seen it all before and I ended up liking it. However the characters have charm and style maybe I'd have liked it anyway. I can say though of the recent films about "sex buddies" that this probably the best (unless you count the small part in "Bridesmaids" then it's no comparison).

Dylan (Justin Timberlake) goes to NYC for a job interview. He was head hunted by Jamie (Mila Kunis) and they two have a connection. They talk and walk most the first day and it's genuinely interesting. I guess it didn't feel to me like they were thinking of sex when they met, just your pretty but we got work to do. Well the movie is of course about "Friends With Benefits" (I'll just quote the title here) and the two begin sleeping together regularly after becoming BF's. Dylan and Jamie decide to avoid the hollywood romantic comedy crap by any means necessary. I like the thought and them mocking it unintentionally was fun. However of course the movie decides at one point that it can't be done without the cliches and they throw them in. They turned a great gimmick into something it was trying to mock. The characters save the film including strong supporting roles from Richard Jenkins, Patricia Clarkson, Woody Harrelson and Jenna Elfman. The supporting characters actually give the most laughs and heart in the film. The jokes weren't for me though. At most I got a chuckle but this is still a very easy movie to watch. I never felt bored but it didn't grab my attention like "Cedar Rapids" or "Bridesmaids" did. This a nice movie but how many times can you watch the same thing.

7.5/10
Recommendation: I'd say it be a fun date movie I guess, but it's not something fantastic. I found it to be adaptable to anyones tastes more than the other like minded films, but not by much. See it now if your interested because I'm sure the fascination will be gone by the time dvd comes around.

No comments:

Post a Comment