Saturday, October 29, 2011

TV Shows This Fall

So just to mix things up a bit here are some thoughts on the Fall's current line up. Just some notes about the Fall shows I'm watching.

The Office: So it's now the post Michael season and it's not all that bad. Ed Helms was the right choice as manager and James Spader makes a cool new CEO. What does work without Michael is now all the other characters are given a little more to do each week. It's just not worth the trade off though. Michael Scott was the show and there is a hole from where he left. The current season seems in a loop of mediocrity. It's certainly still watchable but nothing great. The again Season 6 and 7 weren't that great either. Pretty good but the show's on its last legs.

Parks & Recreations: As far as NBC Thursdays go this is the best show (30 Rock aside because it hasn't premiered yet). Not that it's the best currently but it's one of the few shows I think that gets better as it goes on. It's really grown into it's own and should no longer be known as a side project of "The Office". Ron Swanson is the best character on NBC Thursdays right now (although Dwight's Kerrigan was amazing). Actually this season is a little behind the last one but give it time. If you were like me and gave up on this show during the beginning, give it a second chance. I love it now.

Community: After its bumpy second season Community is back and in full fury. It has been on fire recently in what may be it's best season. We haven't gotten a bad episode yet. Although not all have been memorable, the last two have been works of art. They were original and yet throwbacks to other shows. "Community" does halloween episodes like nobody else. Gillian Jacobs has stepped her game this year. "Community" has won me over again.

How I Met Your Mother: "HIMYM" has replaced the hole in my heart that "Scrubs" left. However it's going along the same lines of "The Office". It hasn't lost any characters but it hasn't been as good as some previous seasons. Maybe I should just watch the episodes all at once like I did with seasons 1-5 (Thank you Sara). I did find the second episode involving Barney doomed to his duck tie quite funny. It's just since then the show hasn't wowed me. I watch more with a smile instead of laughing whole heartedly like I used too. However at any given time the show has potential to turn around and be awesome again.

Terra Nova: Actually I only watched the first two episodes and deemed it wasn't worth my time. It wasn't terrible but honestly I didn't see anything special. From what I did see it didn't make full potential of it's plot.

The Walking Dead: Season 2 is here and it's good, but it's in a weird limbo. See we're only two episodes in so I can't make rash assumptions but so far nothing is really happening. You may be saying "how" with the whole son angle but think about it this way. There's no clear plot outline for this season. It's just survive. Before it was Rick getting back to his family and finding a safe place. Now they're just surviving the day. What is interesting with the son angle is the way this can play out. Say the son is fine, nothing happens and the show will have gone down a dark path. If the son dies (harsh but hear me out), the show now has a dangerous vibe. Any character can die at any given moment now. Yet we have to deal with Rick and Lori crying for episodes, that would suck. We're just in the beginning with a long season. I'm sure we're going to be shocked by the end.

The League: I like the league which is surprising because football talk normally bores me. However the league is doing quite well right now. Nothing great, actually there has yet to be a very memorable episode. However the level of good is quite nice. No bad episodes but non great. Since I don't expect much I like the consistency .

It's Always Sunny In Philadelphia: So far I like what I see. I've never seen a episode of It's Always Sunny I haven't liked. Not all have been great but even the worst of the show is in some ways enjoyable. We've had six episodes and three have been fantastic, one very good and two that would take the bottom five of all time. The Jersey Shore episode showed how funny road trip episodes are. The Storm of the Century episode has some fun chaos. When the gang is terrified the episode is a blast. However CharDee MacDennis is the winner her. It's a bottle episode which means one location and no new characters. When the gang doesn't leave the bar (The hostage episode and the dance off episode for examples) the show is instantly great. CharDee MacDennis makes my top ten even. Let's hope they keep it up after that.

South Park: Your doing great here. Don't change a thing. Plenty of pop culture and current events references make this show. The first episode of the season or the second part of Stan seeing everything as shit is going to be very memorable for years to come. How I long to see drunk Stan once more. The last broadway episode was brilliant too. It pushed the limits and had an idea that I'm sure people will talk about. Also the fact the episode revolved around the Marsh family without much Stan made it special. It could have went horribly wrong but my god it was great. Don't change a thing.

Happy Endings: Let me stop for a moment to stand. This show deserves a standing ovation. Ladies and gentlemen let me praise the best show of the fall season. I gave up on it last year during it's first season. It just didn't seem special. However the second season has hit a great high where every character has brought their A game. Every episode has been great, not just good, but the show is in the top three every week. Probably the best every week (CharDee MacDennis may have won this time though). The characters all have something funny to do which is surprising to think about. How many episodes of "name a sitcom" where a main character does next to nothing. "Happy Endings" please continue this level of awesomeness for years to come.

American Horror Story: The worst and most interesting show on TV right now. Story structure, plot holes, editing, most the acting and many other things makes this a pit of despair. However the show at least feels fresh and Jessica Lange's great acting makes it watchable. I laugh a lot watching this. Especially when I'm not supposed to. I don't get scared or even creeped out at all. I'm getting sick of it in a way but I'll keep watching. I'll admit I'm hooked. I want to see how it turns out. The show may be pretty poor but in no way is it unwatchable. Honestly if this show gets past two seasons I'll be surprised.

No comments:

Post a Comment