Saturday, October 29, 2011

In Time (**1/2 out of **** stars)

Andrew Niccol welcome back! Only three films over fifteen years, your killing me man. However let's do with less S1m0ne and more Gattaca. As a director he has a cool sense of style and is one of the few men out there tries new ideas. That's the thing though... "tries". If you had asked me three months of ago I'd have said this movie will rock your socks off. After seeing it I'll say it's good but has a lot of plot holes and silly moments.

Set in what I assume is an alternate reality where aging has stopped. People stop aging at 25 and are giving one year to live. They earn more time by working, gambling or just stealing it (robbers are killed minutemen, I thought that was clever). Will Salas (Justin Timberlake on his way to a promising acting career) is our hero. In every sense of the word. He's going to beat up bad guys, help the poor and be kind to others when it's called for. Will lives in the ghetto with his mother (Olivia Wilde, only in this movie) where he wakes up with only hours to live. He meets Henry (Matt Boomer) by chance and he's life will change. Will's life is now in danger from Timekeeper Raymond Leon (Cillian Murphy) and he's wrapped up with the beautiful heiress Sylvia Weis (Amanda Seyfried). Let me just say that I love the character names in this movie. Like the movie they're cool and fashionable. The movie has a great plot... for about fifteen minutes. Then the typical chase scenes and character development step in and make it slightly better than your average movie. Pretty good but could have been better.

**1/2 out of **** stars
(did you really think I'd put a picture of Justin Timberlake when Cillian Murphy is in the movie)

No comments:

Post a Comment