Monday, October 10, 2011

Stupid, Crazy, Love. (8/10)

About five minutes into this movie and I wanted to turn it off. I'm glad I didn't because I ended up quite liking the movie. Steve Carrel was playing too awkward, Gosling was more of a dick than a cool guy, and don't even get me started on the Carrel's kid. Don't worry it gets better and actually is one of the best romantic comedies of the year. Maybe even the best since I consider "Bridesmaids" and "Cedar Rapids" more comedies with romance subplots. "Stupid, Crazy, Love" may just charm you to a state of bliss.

There are three stories here. Cal (Steve Carrel) and his wife Emily (Julianne Moore) are getting a divorce. They were high school sweethearts and soul mates. The soul mate idea to the film is eye roll worthy but does make for some funny scenes. Cal goes to drink at the strangest place. Why would a depressed man go to a upscale singles bar. Slum it out man. However while there Jacob Palmer (Ryan Gosling) sees him and decides to teach him his trade. Why? Cal is such a piece of work it's embarrassing for Jacob to see him. So he makes Cal a cool guy who can pick up any chick. I felt him trying to sleep with anything that moves instead of trying to get his wife back was an awful idea. Thank god the film addresses that and tries to change it's ways. The second love story is Jacob and Hannah (Emma Stone). There's is by the best. Emma Stone is a live wire here and here scenes with Gosling have a lot of kick. Jacob is going to find the right woman to have him retire his womanizing ways. There's no winning here in the land of cliches. The third story is of Cal's and Emily's thirteen year old son who "loves" his seventeen year old babysitter. Well I can respect him seeing her as everything beautiful in life. However the level of creepiness he brings to his almost stalking ways weirded me out. I hope that was the point. The kid in my opinion has too many hormones. The ending between the two actually is the best way they could have done it through.

Pretty negative review right? Yea I'm making it out to be bad when I did enjoy watching. Where the film finds it's real strength is in it's dialogue. Not so much what the characters are saying but what they aren't. There is a pain in their voices every time they laugh at how crappy their lives are. Jacob says he collects stupid things because he's so alone and then laughs it off. Gosling is a great enough actor to let the truth slip out subtly. These characters are hurting and their pain is evident in their words. That's what I liked. Strange how my favorite part of this romantic comedy was the depressing parts. Well maybe it's the kind of person I am. Either it's a very good film.

Recommendation: I'm sure it's a good couple movie. 

No comments:

Post a Comment