Saturday, October 29, 2011

The Three Musketeers (** out of **** stars)

Mindless fun really. I don't really have to spend much time here because it's such a simple movie. I'm sure from the previews you can guess how this movie will be. It's certainly watchable, a bit stupid, some nice action scenes, some terrible actions scenes too, brilliant costumes and a pretty tame script. The Three Musketeers (Matthew Macfadyen, Luke Evans and Ray Stevenson) are French loyalists, spies and heroes. I will give credit to Paul W. Anderson who did keep their personalities intact. They spend most of their days drinking and having fun since king Louis XVI is but a child. They don't have the fire in their heart that once inspired them. Well Richelieu (Christoph Waltz no where near his villain greatness) looks to overthrow the king with the help of Milady (Milla Jovovich). They're great plan is so childish that it can't be anything but effective. Weird I know but for some reason it's believable. Milady sneaks the Queen's jewels into England's Duke of Buckingham's (Orlando Bloom, surprisingly the best here) airship. Yes... airship. Well our three heroes and the young and douchey D'Artgnan (Logan Lerman) go to save France. It's a pretty poor movie but you won't truly hate I suppose. It can be fun at parts. I thought it was a blast watching Rochefort (Mads Mikkelsen) kick the shit out of Lerman's character. Oh Mads... why didn't you just break script and snap his neck. You were One Eye from Valhalla Rising. What? It's not going off topic, I'm just saying I wanted the main character dead. Seems fair in my mind.

** our of **** stars

No comments:

Post a Comment