Monday, October 10, 2011

Dogville (9/10)

So let's add to my Lars Von Trier list of films as I drive my self into depression. It comes with the territory. It's like watching "Schindler's List" for the first time and expecting the rest of the day to be joyful. It's a fair trade in my mind. Yet either way "Dogville" is a marvelous and groundbreaking movie. I mentioned cliches in my "Stupid, Crazy, Love" review but "Dogville" has never heard of such an idea. It's so original that the film will rock your socks off. It must be seen.

I'll start with the story because I want it to hook you first. Once upon a time in in the small mountain town of Dogville lived about twenty villagers. They are poor but manage to survive with what they got. Tom (Paul Betttany) is walking outside one night when he hears gunshots. Soon arrives Grace (Nicole Kidman in perhaps her best performance) fleeing these gangsters. Tom hides her and so overcome by her beauty and weakness he decides to help her. In exchange for letting her stay in the town she has to do some chores for the people. Things won't go well. Silly to stop explaining the plot there right. Wrong! This movies will suck you in like no other. It needs to be surprise because nobody like Von Trier knows how to shake your spine and leave you numb for days.

Now for the special part. This entire movie is filmed on a soundstage. Imagine a play but instead of having only a background, it's set in a warehouse that's been converted to seem like a full stage. There are chalk outlines to show where the houses are and only a few key props to supply interaction (even the dog is a chalk outline). Did nobody tell Kidman she didn't have to do a three hour art house film to gain our respect.  I'm glad they didn't really. The film is meant to be very anti-american but I see it as more anti-society. Some of the characters seem more universal to me. What's a weird strength in the film is how it manages to lose your interest at times. This is so when something big happens your emotions will explode with interest and shock. Still at three hours long it's quite punishing. However those wanting to see a film like no other (except it's sequel "Manderlay" which I plan on watching) need to watch this.

9/10
Recommendation: It's slow but my god will grab your attention. It's got more originality going for it than almost any other film I've seen.

No comments:

Post a Comment