Saturday, October 29, 2011

The Thing (** out of **** stars)

Thank god I read some reviews before going into this movie. If I hadn't I'm sure I would have walked out hating it. With seeing ALOT of average reviews I knew not to expect a lot. I went in with no spoilers but guessing what would happen was as easy knowing there would be a kiss at the end of a romantic comedy. The Thing is shameful to the original and even more so to John Carpenter's 1982 masterpiece. However I have seen worse movies out there.

So remember that Norwegian base in the 1982 version. The one where the Thing killed everyone and escaped to the American base. Yea that's where we are now. So setting yourself up in a prequel where we know the outcome is an odd start. Let's ignore this because it seems unfair to start off terribly. Kate Lloyd (Mary Elizabeth Winstead) is the young and pretty american researcher that is hired to help investigate a mysterious creature and ship that was uncovered in Antarctica. Well this creature can repurpose a person. In a way take over a person's form but at anytime can mutate into something horrible. The crew on base is now at odds with one another because anyone of them could be the Thing. Same thing as the first one. We even have Joel Edgerton as an american helicopter pilot that fills Kurt Russell's role. Well we saw it all in the 1982 version and this one becomes old fast. We can guess what will happen and believe you me when I saw you'll probably be right. Updating  the series with a horrendous cgi Thing was not the way to go. It's not unwatchable mind you. I don't regret seeing it. However this is nothing special. It's mediocre as a movie but since The Thing universe is so small, it's not terrible to see more action, despite it being nothing new. Forgettable is the bottom line.

(** our of **** stars)
The Thing Prequel Starring Joel Edgerton and Mary Elizabeth Winstead

No comments:

Post a Comment