Sunday, July 31, 2011

Angel Beats

So I decided to write some words on a TV show, an Japanese Anime at that. Now here me out before you pass over this. I watch a good variety of TV shows, some which are more like long movies than a series. I've consider for some time writing a review or as I said earlier "some words" on three different series.
"Angels in America" and "John Adams" were both mini series that ran several episodes but told a larger plot that would end in only a couple of installments. I figure I'll do a Game of Thrones one too once I finish it (I'm waiting for Blu-Ray for the final episodes I need to watch). So when a TV series feels almost like a movie, why should't I post something about it. Now as far as being an anime, why not again? People still love Spongebob (I always will) and it's always be favorite in some hearts. Whether it's nostalgic or what I still watch it for, It will always be funny. An anime is the same thing and gives a chance to explore more open areas (like Sci-fi). I'm not trying to win you over to it, but just saying don't hate it until you try it.

Anyway Angel Beats is a series about high schoolers living in the after life. The creators came up with the idea of these kids that have had terrible youths and are given a second chance to live in a after life school before passing on to the even more unknown. We follow a group of students who have decided to rebel against God by not passing on from this purgatory to show defiance over their terrible former lives. They fight with Angel, a young girl who's motives are a mystery. It's hard to describe the full plot because well it unfolds over fourteen 25 minute episodes. I do want to say it's a life changer.

Some of these rebels tell stories of their lives before getting here and it's heart breaking. It's as powerful as seeing it in any movie, more so even. The show is hilarious when it wants to be, action packed other times, and very moving also in the end. Stories of a young adult losing his sister, working to become a doctor to make sure other don't suffer to only come to have his dreams end in a metro accident are the kinds I like to see. Not because I love all the depressing melodrama all the time. It's that the story is so masterfully handled it's memorable as any movie or story you'll hear (or watch). So wrapping up this review seems strange. Since it's such a long story that I don't want to give anything way from  (even the small glimpse above isn't the best thing to do), I'll let you discover the magic and epicness (cheesy I know) on your own. I won't give it a rating but me writing something about it shows how much I loved it. So the reason I'm writing this is that so you know something so great is out there and hopefully you give it a chance. I could not recommend it more if your looking for something to get lost in.

No comments:

Post a Comment