Friday, July 22, 2011

Rubber (7.5/10)

"Rubber" is... well odd. However that's what makes it so good. "Rubber" should be just compared only to itself. It is not the strangest movie I've ever seen, but it's up there. The plot is one that will either scare those off after the first sentence or get people very fascinated.

So I'll just say the general plot here and see what you think. "Rubber" is about a car tire that comes alive and rooms the desert while using psychic powers to blow anything that bothers it up. I wonder what the writer was thinking when he wrote it. The film opens with a sheriff questioning "what is the point of something in a movie?" Some off it is funny (why is E.T brown? or why does The Pianist have to hide when he has so much talent?) others are as smart as they are dumb (why do the couple in the romantic comedy fall in love). The sheriff along with the writer/director want us to question the point of a movie. I ask why? If I did that then every movie would have to go through a pass or fail system before I can look at anything else. I've seen some BAD movies ("Sharks in Venice"... don't ask) but I never regret watching them. Every film is like an experience and everything in the film (bad or good) is leading up to a larger picture. A bad film or something stupid in a film is like a scar, it hurts but you learn from it. I can't answer why E.T is brown but I can say that he is brown alien leading up to a larger picture. Questioning ever detail in a movie may work for some, but not me.

This film is madly entertaining though. A audience watches from a hill as the tire goes on his rampage. They act as a movie audience actually inserted in the movie. I liked these characters and the fact they have people in the film watching the events like a film is very new to me. It however is takes a interesting turn, but then your left on a shallower shore. This film is a mix between "The Twilight Zone" and "Monty Python" (I said this while watching the film and saw a critic said the same thing haha). "Rubber" raises some strange questions, but the tracks this mad or tragic tire leaves behind are great.

7.5/10
Recommendation: Actually if you give it a chance I can see anybody getting really interested. A very strange but entertaining movie.

No comments:

Post a Comment