Sunday, September 18, 2011

Nowhere Boy (6.5/10)

Many people said after watching this film, you'd understand John Lennon better than you've had before. While I learned a few things my image of Lennon remains unchanged. Say what you want about The Beatles, but Lennon was a dick. He cared only for himself at the end of the day. While talented at what he did, I can't just overlook as attitude like I can with say the Gallagher brothers. Hell, Oasis wouldn't be the same if the two weren't pricks. I say this because when you don't care much for your lead in an emotional way, how can the film be all that great.

John Lennon (Araron Johnson) didn't grow into the man he was but was really born him. At a young age Lennon was making trouble and loving music while avoiding any responsibility. He lived with his aunt Mimi (Kristen Scott Thomas), a strong and scary woman. Lennon manages to get into contact with his real mother who he's never understood why she left him to Mimi. The two get along but the ugly past is going too rear it's head one day. The acting is pretty great here. Aaron Johnson doesn't so much look like Lennon but embodies what he stood for. It's a good biopic but it's been a week since I saw the film and already it's fading from my memory.

7/10
Recommendation: Beatle fans

No comments:

Post a Comment