Friday, September 16, 2011

Elvis and Anabelle (8/10)

I'm going to be upfront with you and say I'm not to sure of what to make of this movie. I know I liked it a lot so that's a good sign. However does that mean it deserves such high rating? I think the answer is yes if I judge it based on what it is. By holding it up to older films of the 40's and 50's I think "Elvis and Anabelle" plays it quite right.

It's a strange story but those are the kinds I like best. Elvis is a mortician that does the work of his father. Since his father Charlie (A fantastic Joe Mantenga) is becoming older and losing his grasp on what's going on around him. Elvis illegally carries on the family business. Elvis is played by Max Minghella in a performance Paul Newman would be proud of. He's a got a brooding look and even a simple drag of the cigarette speaks more about him than some dialogue could ever do. He could be the next James Dean if he wanted but I'm still excited over his recent movies ("The Social Network" and "Ides Of March"). Elsewhere there is Anabelle (Blake Lively), a beauty queen. After winning a big competition, she falls over on the stage and dies. Her body is brought to Elvis' practice and just as he about to embalm her, she wakes up. Apparently there have been conditions where a person who's been dead for a day or two may wake up (I had to look it up even). Well Anabelle looks to escape the press she's getting by hiding out with Elvis and his father. You could probably guess that there will be some romance here.

The film has the charm a old James Stewart movie might have. So by judging it along side something of that quality it holds up pretty well. I had fun watching it and really outside of a bit of a sloppy ending can't find any real flaws. It's worth your time.

8/10
Recommendation: Fan's of the actors should like it. Actually if by some chance you ever have the opportunity to see it, I'd make the time in your day for it.

No comments:

Post a Comment