Sunday, September 25, 2011

Hesher (6/10)

Hesher is an odd man to say the least. Is he a badass? Maybe. Is he a dick? pretty much. Does he have a heart of gold? Unfortunately I think so. Personally I'd like to say that he would do things just to see what the hell would happen. Why not? What I do know is the he is played by a incendiary Joseph Gordon Levitt.

I don't really want to talk about the plot. It's sort of poor. What you need to know is TJ (Devin Brochu) has lost his mother in a accident. His father (Rainn Wilson) is on so many pills he's more dead than alive. One day he meets Hesher and grocery store clerk Nicole (Natalie Portman) and he'll get into some crazy shit. This is a rough movie. The filth spewing from their mouths is ridiculous. I have no problem with cursing, I enjoy it even. I just think that they were swearing here not spice up the dialogue ("The Departed") but just trying to give a dangerous image. After watching the movie I can say that I did not real care for the plot. What I did like was the actors and what they did during the film.

Devin, Joseph, Rainn and Natalie have all done great work here. Devin Brochu is just a child but has a lot of talent for acting. Child actors don't know what not to do so they just act with pure emotion. I like that. Rainn Wilson gives is first really dramatic role, good for him. Natalie Portman having released this just before her recent strings (pun) of bad movies has shown she is still worth the trouble. One good Natalie Portman performance is worth three bad ones. I'm glad her and Levitt can still do indie films and look normal. Imagine Tom Cruise doing a low budget indie movie, can't be done. Joseph Gordon Levitt gives a great performance as always and I'm glad he did this film. It really shows the range he has as an actor. I'm glad he can do a movie like this and fit in quite well after the recent "Inception" exposure. As a film it's meh, but the actors it''s something to put on their resumes.

6/10
Recommendation: Once again if you like the actors

No comments:

Post a Comment