Saturday, September 3, 2011

The Art of Getting By (6/10)

George (Freddie Highmore) is interesting. It's not so much what he say's or does, but what he believes. George has taken the message that we'll die one day, so what's the point? So George as a senior in high school has stopped doing his work because what's the point if we're going to all die one day? I like his ideas, I've thought like that once, but George is a phony. I'll just say right now that George will start caring once he realizes he'll fail his senior year if he doesn't do his work. Did he really forget about that? A near fatherless up bringing brought up these ideas (probably with a reading or two of Catcher In The Rye). I like how he runs with his goals, but he's to quick to change his mind. George was just looking for meaning his life, his dying dreams were just that... dreams.

George begins a friendship with a popular girl, Sally (Emma Roberts). The two are mismatch in the unfortunate way. Meaning they don't suit each to such an extreme that there's no cute opposite idea to them. The two run around NYC having fun, drinking (which I guess is easy because they order beer like it's nothing) and getting into trouble. So I'd say this movie's theme is finding something worth living for. It's a descent theme but it's been done better before. The film is pleasant in part to a short running time (83 minutes) so there's that. I'd hate for George to meet Nicholas Cage's character in "Bringing Out The Dead" though. Cage would smash his face in for being so focused on dying but not doing anything about it.

6/10
Recommendation: Unless it's on I'd pass it by. It would be a good way of killing time when doing something else (I often type papers with movies on the background).

No comments:

Post a Comment