Thursday, September 1, 2011

My Sassy Girl (8/10)

I said in my "London Boulevard" review that a film is only as good depending on how much you enjoy it. Movies like "Enter The Void" and "Sherlock Holmes" have a large amount of fans, but they're not for me. Both are well made movies but how can I give it a good rating when I was bored senseless. "My Sassy" Girl" was very fun to watch. It's not groundbreaking but it is a step up from your normal romantic comedy, which is very nice in my book. It's humorous, cute and at times emotional. I was pleased from beginning to end. Well to a sense, some scenes are eye roll worthy. Well two or three mediocre scenes won't stop a huge amount of joyous ones.

I watched this movie for three reasons. The first is as you may tell with some of my recent reviews (scroll down), I'm in a indie phase. I'm a huge indie fan so let's add another to the list. The second reason is that the film is based off the Korean film/book of the same name. It got overwhelmingly positive reviews and was a massive hit. I knew the basic story but could never find the film. So I settled for the english remake. The third is well... Elisha Cuthbert is in the film. She's in my top five for most beautiful actresses so any film with her is one I will be watching. Anyway, let's move on, most of that was useless information, onto the actually review.

Our hero and lead is Charlie (Jesse Bradford). He's a small town kind young man in NYC for school. He's got an interesting story and knows how to narrate a tale. Well since this is a true story, the feelings are genuine. One day he see's Jordan (Elisha Cuthbert) in the park and later in the subway. She is drunk off her ass. Charlie saves her from nearly having her arm taken off by the train and soon she passes out, but not before calling him "darling". He takes her home so she doesn't remain passed out in a NYC subway station, that's just spelling disaster. Well let's jump forward a bit and the two become quick friends and spend a lot of time together. Jordan is alive in a way I've nor Charlie have ever seen before. She's chaotic and impulsive. However she's kind, sweet and the most interesting person around. Charlie put's up with her irrational behavior because she makes him feel alive. The movie doesn't have that many twists and turns but is quite entertaining. Watching every man Charlie deal with the situation works with the audience. The crowd also loves to see what Jordan will do next ( I did and it appears to be the same with the Koran version). The two's bizarre relationship is a worthy drive for the film.

So like I said I had a lot of fun watching this movie. That way I saw the best the film had to offer. The two leads really grow on you. I'm not a big Jesse Bradford fan and I thought Adam Brody who really impressed me with "In the Land of Women" might have done a better job. Bradford won me over and really fits the character quite well. Elisha Cuthbert starts off a tad annoying but that's her job. Like Charlie we see a girl that should be our type but she's very drunk and bizarre. Charlie saw something very special in Jordan and so did I. She's strange but somebody like that makes life truly worth it. Throw Jordan on the "dream girl list" (movie character edition) alongside Ramona Flowers, Clementine Krucynski, Em Lewin along with a few others for me. Director Yann Samuell was the right choice for this. I've seen bits and pieces of his "Love Me If You Dare" and he seems to have a eye for this type of film. Whether or not this is a classic (it's not), it's a very entertaining way to spend your time. Don't we all want what Charlie feels for Jordan?

8/10
Recommendation: I imagine it'd make a good date movie. The actors do a great job if you like them. Also if your looking for one of the more interesting and fun characters in a film then Jordan is that and more. I still can't believe that this is a perhaps all a true story (I really hope it is).

No comments:

Post a Comment