Saturday, November 12, 2011

Skateland (*1/2 out of ****)

Yikes! I didn't think this film was going to be this...bad. I'm not to sure what I can defend about it but I do want to try. I saw a trailer for this before Terri and thought it would be interesting. It reminded me of American Graffiti and Adventureland. Two films I really love. Skateland is almost a complete disaster however.

I blame it mostly on the lead character. Shiloh Fernandez, who I hated in Red Riding Hood, is quite off here. I can't say it's all his acting this time, but it is part of it. The film is about a 19 year old in a small town that is learning that he needs to grow up. One thing that annoyed me was Shiloh's character Ritchie couldn't even think realistically. Everyone needs to plan for a future and yet Ritchie acts like a baby about this (no idea about a job, school etc.). I'm confused about my future a lot but Ritchie is a child in comparison. Ritchie is also for some reason the most interesting person in town. I say "for some reason" because the audience never has any idea why. Everyone loves him (his family, friends, girls, bosses look to hire him on the spot, colleges would be graced with his interest). However he does nothing special. Every conversation he has is boring, he has no talents (maybe roller skating) and honestly I don't see why women swoon over him. I'm sure Louis CK would say he's one of those people who just think they're a good person, but it's heavily debatable. Ritchie is one of the most boring leads I've seen in recent memory. The only saving grace is I find his friend and potential love interest played by Ashley Greene very beautiful. She's a cliche character (like the majority of the cast) but at least the film picked up with her presence. You can skip this one and you'd be no different for it.

*1/2 out of ****

No comments:

Post a Comment