Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Like Crazy *** out of ****

I have little idea of what to make of this film. It's very personal in that it's a love story. However this isn't a classic film. It's almost 90 minutes of emotions. The film is only as good as what you put into it. So let's say your a hapless romantic, then you'll love this to death. If your cynical then maybe this movie will never click with you. I can say I'm still confused. Maybe I wasn't ready for it. The film is about loving that special someone which is something I've yet to do. I've been in lust once or twice but love is something different. Maybe down the road again I'll watch this again and see something wondrous. However I'm glad I can recognize the desired affect. As a film Like Crazy is innovative and brilliantly made. A movie that is only as good as what you make it; I don't know about real love but part of me loves that idea.

Jacob and Anna meet in class. The film actually jumps right into their relationship which is actually quite smart. After looking eyes in class one day Anna leaves Jacob a note on his car. They go out and things to go well. They start falling in young and happy love. Of course after graduation Anna must leave. She's in the USA on a visa for school and hails from England. She decides to violate her Visa and stay two months longer. She goes home for a wedding but upon returning is barred from the country. Honestly over staying your visa was stupid but hey that's what I put into the film. So Jacob and Anna are hopelessly in love but now have to deal with a long distance relationship. The film moves through a few years as they long for one another, agree to see other people, try their hardest to get the ban lifted and so on. Anton Yelchin plays Jacob in a very heartfelt performance. However it's Felicity Jones that walks off the winner here. It's a brutally emotional performance up there with Elizabeth Olsen in Martha Marcy May Marlene (I may prefer Olsen by a hair though). Some will feel what Jacob and Anna go through as it were happening to them. Others will see two kids who act foolishly. I see a movie that has a lot going for it in the end.

***out of ****

No comments:

Post a Comment