Monday, June 6, 2011

The Tree Of Life 10/10

Three years I've been waiting for this film and I was not let down in the slightest. It is beyond a masterpiece, it's surpassed perfection, it's a classic in every sense of the word, and just one of the best movies ever made. This is even fighting it's way up my favorites of all time and who knows, it may end up on top. The thought popped in my head watching it that this is the end all movie. That you can end it all here and say we've done it. It's silly and ridiculous but the fact that that thought even entered my head shows something. A powerful message to a film that matches it. This movie will rock your world.

It's so hard to describe this film because their no strict plot. It leaves a impression of a plot instead. A story that's danced around by the wonders of perfect film making. A young boy, Jack grows up in 1950's Texas with his two brothers and parents. His parents have different styles of life and represent much more than what's before them. A tragedy happens and the family we follow will never be the same. The third son dies (not really a spoiler). Jack grows into adulthood and appears ghostlike as he drifts from room to room. Floating around life with no connection to anything.

The parents represent two ways of life: the way of nature and the way of grace. Mr. O'Brien (Brad Pitt) and Mrs. O'Brien (Jessica Chastain) are of two different worlds. Mr. O'Brien is of nature. He believes a strong sense of will and strength will help who succeed in life. Being good will get you left behind. He is strict and demands to be taken seriously. Mr. O'Brien teaches his children to fight and stand tough (a "Fight Club" reference seems necessary). Often he may appear a villain for appearing so cruel in comparison to his wife. However he recognizes his ways too. He just wants his son to live a life to be proud of. He knows nothing else. He might as well be Jack if he follows nature strictly. I feel bad for him at times but also fear his ways. The way of grace is a one of delight. To love all and to never try to cause conflict. To be happy in the here and now. The more you love the greater your life will be. It limits the future but causes happiness. Both ways have their strengths and weaknesses. I follow the way of grace personally, I'm glad this movie helps solidify the decision. I never want to look back.

The tragedy that happens causes the characters to question God and the universe. Why take him? With everybody in this world, why him?  The film traces the universe over billions of years. We see the big bang and the creation of Earth. These scenes are so majestic I couldn't believe it. My jaw dropped and at one point I realized I didn't take a breath for over a minute. There's only been three other films ("The New World", "Encounters At The End Of The World" and "All The Real Girls") that made me feel this way. A feeling of pure awe, amazement, mind-bending, and pulled this hard on my heart. The movie jumps to the creation of life in a similar and mesmerizing way. Soon we see Dinosaurs roam the earth. Yes... there are Dinosaurs! They too follow the ways of nature and grace and make you feel more connected with this planet than ever before. Then back to the O'Brien family as we see them move through the years. We see the two parents love and embrace on a blanket and to be followed by one of the greatest match-cuts I've ever seen. The film has many instances of this. For those not familiar it's a cut that shows two different objects but you sense a connection. Think seeing a apple, then showing a man rubbing his stomach, you know he's hungry. Well back on topic we see the two lovers and it cuts to a streetlight in the dark. It symbolizes finding one's light (love) in all the darkness in the world. It's terrific. We see the boys grow up and follow Jack as he struggles with choosing either nature or grace.

Terrence Malik the director has made only four movies before this. He took a 20 year break at one time even. I've seen 3/4 of those ("Days Of Heaven", "The Thin Red Line" and "The New World") and all those too are masterpieces. However this is the film Malick has been building too. Each film before was a story he brought his own style (poetic) too. This film is partially based off Malik's own childhood, he lost his younger brother at a young age. All the emotions in the film are genuine and the scenes of suburb life is so realistic. Jack Fisk, the set designer is genius. The fun and fear the boys have is so moving to watch. Emmanuel Lubezki has done some of the greatest cinematography (camera work) ever. It's going to be considered one of the all time greats in the future, I guarantee it. He should be a lock for an Oscar win. Hell this movie is already on it's way to winning a lot of Academy Awards.

Brad Pitt plays Mr O'Brien in one of his best performances yet. He comes off so natural and believable. Not once did it feel like I was watching Pitt but rather I saw this O'Brien on screen. I was actually shocked when I thought about it during some part even. This is the most groundbreaking work this actor has done yet and already is a leading Oscar contender for the next award show. Jessica Chastain plays Mrs. O'Brien in a lyrical performance. Her presence sings of all the good things in the world. An ethereal angel nurturing her children as all in this world do. Her performance and character radiate brilliance. Sean Penn plays the older version of Jack with such sincerity. He does wonders with such little screen time, but is shows his talent has no bars. Hunter McCracken who plays the young version of Jack is a revelation. He carries the film and is a miracle on screen. He does the best work I've seen for leading actor this year (so far). His first role ever and he shines bright. The movie is filled with talented actors who carry deep characters to new heights.

This will probably be the best movie I'll see this year. By film's end my heart was beating very fast because I couldn't believe what I was watching. It was purely phenomenal and just utter fantastic. The film is filled with metaphors and will seriously make you reflect on your life. I've given a fair share of 10/10 before but this is one of the best of them all. I'd give it a higher rating if I could but I gotta play fair. "The Tree Of Life" is a movie that will change your life.

10/10
Recommendation: It's of the best movies I've ever seen, it will really make you think about you life. It's slow and is 2:18 hours. Expect this and you'll love it. I suggest watching a Malick film before hand so you can get an idea of his style. I'd say go for "The Thin Red Line", it's a WWII movie with big actors and fights, but has a lot of depth and meaning too. It's on Netflix Instant Que for those who have it. I could not recommend "The Tree Of Life" more.

No comments:

Post a Comment