Monday, June 27, 2011

The Joneses (6/10)

 So what happens when you just don't care for the plot of a movie? Most people stop, I try not too. So I gave it a shot and I don't regret it. To bad the film isn't anything that special.

I saw the quick plot the airplane monitor told me what the film was about. It sounded interesting but then 10 minutes I just stopped caring. I feel most people will. It revolves around a "family" who have a secret. A company hires actors and sales people to portray a perfect family. Each member then subliminally advertises products so that people in the community will buy them. It's a product placement scheme with people in your actual life. You want to be like the perfect family so you act like them. It's smart, I even wondered if it would work in real life (or if it really happens). However once you know the plot, it gets predictable and never gets a hold on you.

Steve (David Duchovny) plays the father and tries to impress the mother (Demi Moore) through his sales. He likes her and wants to be more than her pretend wife. Their fake children Jenn and Mike have their own problems. Jenn (Amber Heard, she's still one great role away from being a Hollywood power force) is kind of.... a slut. She ends up gets feelings a for a married man who she started sleeping with to try to sell perfume to him. Mike is gay and has to act straight, the film only really deals with this as a problem once, too bad cause it was better then his police/drunk driving angle (you'll see). The film can't make up it's mind between satire and drama. I had the same problem with "Kick-Ass", but that I still consider a success. The Joneses on the outside are the perfect family, a messed up one on the inside and an ok movie.

6/10
Recommendation: Watch it to kill some time, no need to buy it. It's still pretty decent though.

No comments:

Post a Comment