Sunday, May 8, 2011

Away We Go (8.5/10) Revisited

After seeing this movie I gave myself a mental slap, I didn't think it would be this good. Two things about this movie tell me something about my life. One is if I sat down and wrote out a screenplay, one would probably look like this (Others would be like 'Garden State", "Atonement", "Revolutionary Road"and "Dark City") I like that fact. It's closer to the heart already. The second thing is if you told me there were five my ways my life would turn out, and this would be one. Well I would agree and would be happy. Why? Burt and Verona are happy and have found their special one. I could live with just knowing that as the motivation for my life.

Let's start off with casting. Burt and Verona  are played by John Krasinski and Maya Rudolph perfectly. It's the best work I think the two may ever do, and I'm fine with that cause their wonderful here. Not only do they act great, but are casted to perfection. The two have such a normal vibe (John sporting a fantastic beard) that I wouldn't want it any other way. Say if you had Ryan Gosling and Michelle Williams as the leads, two great actors, but they wouldn't be as good. You need to go as normal as can be. This creates charm and this film definitely has it.

Burt and Verona are living like children, without purpose or stability. They have a child on the way and with Burt's parents leaving they look for a new city to raise a child. It's almost childish thinking they need someone else in their lives to help raise their kid. They visit many people with actors including Paul Schnieder, Maggie Gyllenhall, Melanie Lynskey, Jeff Daniels, Catherine O'Hara, Jim Gaffigan, and Allison Janney. They travel the USA in a whimsical matter and see all types of parenting the others treat. Janney and Gaffigan and funny and weird. Maya's sister is nice (there is a scene where Burt is on the phone and Verona and her sister look at him, she says to Verona "You got lucky", it's heart warming). Gyllenhall is strange and a hippie freak. Lynskey and he husband are happily depressed. The story the husband tells is pretty powerful. Schneider also has emotional baggage, his wife just left him and he's not worried about himself, but how his daughter will now grow up. Burt and Verona are scared but their love is strong and in this case it will actually see them through.

"Away We Go" is a fantastic movie and a gem. It's a film about good people for good people. Sam Mendes made this movie, that's all you should need to know. The guy has yet to make a bad movie and this proves he'll probably never even come close to that. The film is just fantastic and is something to feel rather than just watch.

8.5/10"
Recommendation: It's got that quirky indie feel "Juno" and "Adventureland offer and is the best work by the two leads. If you like those two movies or the two actors it's something to love.

No comments:

Post a Comment