Friday, January 6, 2012

War Horse (*** out of ****)

As far as movies about horses go, this could be the best. I'm not too sure, I've seen Seabiscuit and Hidalgo and those are fine movies too. Perhaps the movie shouldn't be focus on with whether or nor the horse is the main character. It should be enjoyed as moving treat for the eyes, ears and heart.

Albert (Jeremy Irvine) sees a horse born one day and he'll form a connection with this horse over the next couple of years. The horse's name is "Joey"and he's the heart and soul behind the film. A soldier in a war that is deemed expendable. Joey is sent to WWI as a part of a calvary division but doesn't stay there. He'll be taken in by different people and armies while Albert fights in the trenches. The emotional stuff I expect will work for some (I heard some gasps and "awww" 's in my audience). However I was most entertained with the war aspect. There are some brilliantly designed WWI battlefields captured with some beautiful cinematography (an impressive score adds to big picture as well). No Man's Land always seemed to me as Hell on Earth and War Horse holds true to that. Joey drifts from people during the war and nearly each time to a well known actor. I found some thrill recognizing some the actors and faces with each new caretaker. Quite the impressive cast that I won't list for their names aren't big but they are the people you'll see and go "oh that's the guy from that movie" (Eddie Marson is the paragon of that). War Horse is very impressive but nothing new. Still very enjoyable as a normal film goes.

*** out of ****

No comments:

Post a Comment