Saturday, January 28, 2012

The Grey (*** out of ****)

The Grey I'm sure will have the same effect that Jaws had on some people. Just instead of fearing sharks and water, we'll fear snowy wildernesses and wolves now. I had a dream the night after seeing this film. I awoke to a shock having a dream that the alpha wolf from the film was in room. Lurking in the shadows, eyes colored in crimson red, teeth bared for me to fear. I couldn't move and he let out a roar that woke me in a fright. The fact it had such a positive affect on me shows how special this film truly was.

Liam Neeson stars as Ottway in this harrowing film. A man employed at an oil rig to shoot threatening wild life. On his way to Anchorage his plane goes down and only six riggers (Dermot Mulroney, James Badge Dale and Joe Anderson among other fine actors) and Ottway are left alive. Not only is the environment (freezing cold, daunting cliffs etc) a extreme danger. Enter a deadly pack of wolves. They're large, dangerous and know exactly how to hunt. The audience tenses up anytime somebody falls behind, a howl is heard in the distance or odd shape appears in the darkness. Besides the chills from the wolves there is some heart here. Ottway sees these men as scum, drifters, convicts (who else decides to work on oil rig). These are just men who all have had problems and like Ottway are trying to escape the pain. There is a scene involving some wallets near the end that really touched me. I didn't expect that in a movie I called "Wolf Puncher" before going in. Please more surprises like this in films. Liam Neeson gives a tremendous performance here. He throws his all into the movie. He's fierce, threatening, inspiring and above all else real. Liam Neeson over the past few years has not only established him as one of the greatest action stars working today, but of all time. He brings weight to any role and makes films electric. Imagine Taken with somebody else. I don't even want to attempt it. Liam Neeson shows us once again that when given the tools (sometime even without them) can make any movie something to be reckoned with.

*** out of ****
Note: Thoughts on the ending: Five minutes later..."I feel somewhat cheated", Fifteen minutes later..."perfect"

No comments:

Post a Comment