Tuesday, January 24, 2012

The 2012 Academy Award Nominations or what in the hell is going on?!

The Oscar nominations came out at 8:30 this morning and I still can't make any sense of it. There are inspired choices as well as terrible ones. An Oscar means little to me in the end. If I enjoy the film it will never be brought down due to a lack of nominations. 28 Days Later, Sunshine, Zodiac and Children of Men show that a film can be terrific and memorable but have little to no Oscar love. An Oscar to me is something nice to see given to a film I enjoy. Kind of a good job situation. It does not mean the winner is the ultimate pinnacle of this category. I love No Country For Old Men which took home several major Oscars but that doesn't mean it is necessary the best movie of the year. It however is great to see such a great movie be rewarded. So I (and several people suggesting it ) have decided to write several thoughts about the Oscar nominations. Some ranting, some praise but probably more of the former.

Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close getting a Best Picture nomination. 
This is the one that dumbfounded me the most. The new system for the Oscars has a rule where there can be a maximum of ten nominees and a minimum of five. The kicker is a film must have at least 5% of the votes. I imagine that this year films like Drive, Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy and The Girl WIth The Dragoon Tattoo received around 4% of those votes. However a film that is failing both critically and audience made it in. I haven't seen Extremely Loud & Incredibly Close granted but so many people have told me not too. How can a film that is failing on so many levels nominated? I haven't a clue. It has something to due with that bastard Stephen Daldry. He went three for there for directing nominations for his first three films. It's possible the best picture nomination is sort of a make up. The people that voted this as the best film of the year should be an appointment with a shrink because they are insane.

Drive only receiving one Sound Editing nomination.
In a perfect world Drive would have won a nomination for both best picture and director today. However it isn't a perfect world. Drive wasn't expected by anybody to receive those two nominations but was slated for a well deserved Best Supporting Actor nomination. Albert Brooks deserved a nomination and I wouldn't even mind him winning. Yet he was left out for possibly Max Von Sydow. I have great respect for that man but no Brooks really hurts. Brooks's gave life to what was possibly the best villain of the year. All I can do is shake my head in disappointment.

Only 9 Best Pictures Nominations
As I said early there is no rule saying there must be ten nominees and all those nominated need 5% of the top votes. Nine seems so irregular that the system seems strange now. I can't imagine that there were no films that were code to the 5%. Drive, Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy, Melancholia, Shame, Bridesmaids, The Girl With The Dragoon Tattoo, Beginners and many more films deserve a spot and with one left open it feels like a waste.

Rooney Mara in but no The Girl With The Dragoon Tattoo for Best Picture
I'm all for Mara but what's with the best Picture snub. Voters must have thought the film was good due to other five nominations including Best Actress. The film is just as equally as good. It just doesn't make sense to me how you can have such strong support for a film but decide it's not Best Picture worthy.

No Michael Fassbender for Shame
So the best performance (In my opinion) of the year is not included on your nomination list. There is so much wrong there. The other nominees are deserving in there own right. But perhaps none of the gave a performance to make Fassbender raw intensity.

No The Adventures of Tintin for Best Animated Film.
It sure had a lot of support going into the season and has done well with other awards. The film received a nomination for Best Score which shows the liked it in some fashion. I personally want Rango to win but the film in question should've been a worthy contender.

No Surprises in Best Actress
There are many fine actresses that gave great performances this year. Streep, Davis and Williams were locks but Close and Mara were still likely. Swinton who wasn't nominated is a shocker but person;;y I was looking for more shock like Best Actor gave us. Kirstin Dunst, Elizabeth Olsen, Charlize Theron, kristen Wiig, Brit Marling and Felicity Jones would have been fine additions. A bit boring if you ask me.

Melissa McCarthy and Jonah Hill are Oscar Nominees... I'm fine with it.
Two comedic actors are now Oscar nominees and while I prefer others in their slots, they aren't too bad. McCarthy was a show stealer in a terrific movie which is sometimes all you need. Jonah Hill gave a great performance in Moneyball and while I think Brooks should've gotten in over him, Hill is still worthy. In the end the world keeps turning.

Acting Nominations that weren't going to happen but would've been nice.
Joseph Gordon Levitt - 50/50
Ewan McGregor - Beginners
Kirstin Dunst - Melancholia
Carey Mulligan - Shame
Patton Oswalt - Young Adult
Michael Fassbender or Mia Wasikowska -Jane Eyre


Bridesmaids and Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy both get an acting and screenplay nomination but no best Picture
This one simply stumps me.

No Shailene Woodley for The Descendants
Simply a shame.

Margin Call in for Best Original Screenplay
Hell Yes! It deserved the nomination. Maybe not over 50/50 but let's look at the positives.

Only Two Best Original Songs
The Muppets  alone has three songs good enough. Let's not forget The Help and Albert Noobs which were also favorites in the category. I almost question the whole category in general now.

Gary Oldman
I'm so happy the man finally got an Acting nomination. The guy is a legend. However I feel that Michael Fassbender and he gave similar performances. Both require a strong presence and domination of the screen. I feel that Fassbender did it better but Oldman is too good to ignore.

No The Skin I live In for Best Foreign Film
I haven't seen A Separation yet but my favorite foreign film was this here. It was very received which what puzzles me.

Terrence Malik and The Tree of Life getting the big two
BEST DAY EVER!!!!!


No comments:

Post a Comment